Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Taco Potatoes


Growing up I hated any Mexican, including tacos. I vividly remembering gagging as my mother tried to make me eat them. (Sorry about the drama, Mom!) Suddenly during my pregnancy with baby 3 I developed a taste for mild Mexican that has stuck with me. This new taste added a few new recipes to our family's meals. Taco potatoes is a fun twist on a Mexican stand by. I always brown an extra pound of hamburger to have in the freezer for last minute meals. Whether planned or last minute I think that your family will love this one too!



1 lb ground beef-browned

1 bag shredded potatoes (Or make your own!)

1 cup white cheddar or Monterey jack cheese

2-3 tablespoons Taco Seasoning (The homemade shredded potatoes might seem intense but making your own taco seasoning is super easy! Try it.)

1 can (1 3/4 cup) tomato sauce (Check the fridge or panty and use whatever is there. Pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, regular tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes. Anything will work.)

1 can red or black beans-rinsed and drained

1 cup frozen corn-warmed

2 cups shredded lettuce.

Mix beef, seasoning and tomato sauce and warm on the stove. Place half the shredded potatoes in a large oiled skillet.  Pan-fry potatoes (It will take a few tablespoons of oil or butter.  Make sure they are crispy!  You may want to season with a little salt.)  Serve family style.  Build with shredded potatoes as the base then top with meat and taco toppings.  Enjoy!


This post is linked up at Pennywise Platter Thursdays @ http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/  Full Plate Thursdays @ http://mizhelenscountrycottage.blogspot.com/ and Fight Back Friday @ http://www.foodrenegade.com/


2 comments:

  1. Your recipe sounds so good. I host a Tuesday link up call The Gathering Spot @ http://mamaldiane.com/ hope you come link up. Your blog is very nice. I love your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an awesome dish that we would really enjoy! Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete