Friday, July 5, 2013

Kevin's 1st 4th of July

Waiting for candy at the 4th of July parade
A late happy 4th of July to everyone!  We had a good day.  We went to our local parade and spent the rest of the day hanging out around the house.  It so great that my husband had the day off for Kevin's first day here.  We were too tired to do any fireworks.  My kids didn't even complain they were so exhausted.  I hope that Kevin wasn't disappointed.
In one way yesterday felt a little like "sink or swim."  On the other hand we got two calls yesterday to make sure that all was going smoothly, one for us from the local Kidsave coordinator and one for Kevin from his chaperone. 
Kevin has been pretty quiet so far which we are told is typical.  He is polite says "Thank you" for every meal and my oldest has started to thank me at every meal too!  Bonus! 
We our kids have quickly learned that there are a few universal languages.  I have been so impressed with the way that kids can play without letting language get in the way.  Playing catch, Nerf gun wars, video games, basketball...the kids are just fine.  My six year old and 4 year old just chatter away at him like normal.  I don't think that he has a clue what they are saying, but he smiles and seems to enjoy their company! 
I had picked up a few Spanish books for him, and yesterday he started reading The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.  It was as if he went to another world.  He didn't hear anything that was going on around him.  I loved watching him devour that book!  I am not sure if he loves the book or if he loves hearing his language even if it is just in his mind, but I may have to find Prince Caspian in Spanish soon!
We had a big language break through last night.  My husband speaks no Spanish and was coaching him to use Google translate on the ipad.  Kevin was very hesitant to try it, but Jordan kept pressing.  Finally Jordan asked him what he wanted to do, and Kevin typed "Tocar el piano usted" "Play piano with you."  My husband is a very talented musician.  (I like to joke that the only two things he loved before me was his mom and his piano!)  Jordan doesn't think that Kevin reads music but just likes to play by ear.  It was a very sweet moment!
 
Tomorrow is our first Kidsave event.  We will be painting pottery with the other Summer Miracles Kids and families who are interested in opening their hearts and homes to these kids and giving them a forever family.  I can't wait!
 
 
*If you would like to view pictures that include faces or see what the other Summer Miracles kids are doing be sure to go to the Kidsave website and apply to meet the kiddos!  

No comments:

Post a Comment