Wednesday, July 10, 2013

It is a little nuts, but it is so good!

Life is good, and I am hesitant to write this post because I don't want anyone to get the picture that it isn't.   That said I had a moment tonight when all the craziness hit me at once, and I laughed so hard that I nearly cried.  I am not sure that the incident was all that hilarious, but in the context of it all it hit me as such.   (I really don't want to sound negative, so please read all the way to the end!)
When we decided that we were going to host this summer I imagined this wonderful month where I would be a perfect hostess and give this kiddo the best American experience there was to give!  We would all learn Spanish, and who ever was lucky enough to come to our house would feel like he was on the set of "Leave it to Beaver."  (In my mind I might have even worn an apron and heels.)  It was going to be awesome. 
REALITY: there have been a few things that have come up since we decided to host that could have happened at a better time.  That's life; we roll with it. My health hasn't been great these last few weeks so I don't feel very "June Cleaver."  The dryer setting that I usually use won't shut off automatically so I have to watch it.  I wake up in the middle of the night in a panic because I can't remember if I left it running when I went to sleep. The washing machine is now making funny noises, and few weeks ago the basement flooded. 
Our basement really wasn't finished, but we had our TV down there and large carpet remnants.  We made the space functional.  As a result of the flood we lost all the carpet in the basement, and with it the useable space.  Kevin's room was the Lego room, but we removed the Legos.  They were supposed to go downstairs, but now are on the main floor. Our ping pong table folded up and has remained trapped in the corner.  Our TV was moved up to the family room which isn't terrible, but something about the router and the way the internet is hooked up to the TV -if someone turns on the TV no one can be on the internet.  It is kind of annoying.
As part of being a host for Kidsave the families take turns hosting the Summer Miracles chaperone as well.  Yesterday morning I picked up the chaperone, and she will be with us until Saturday.  She is very friendly and has been helpful, but we are just running out of space!  We had already given the guest room to Kevin and the basement pull-out is not place for anyone right now.  We gave her our girls' room, and the girls are sleeping my closet.  (Don't worry, it is big.  They are fine.)  I texted Jordan last night to ask him if he remembered I was hosting a couple of ladies for Bible study at 8:00 that evening.  He replied with something along the lines of "That's fine, but you have to meet outside, because every other room in our house is full of people."  (I ended up canceling anyway, because I just needed some down time!)
The chaperone spends a lot of time at night on the internet working and Skyping which is fine, but we can't turn on the tv to watch a show, dvd or the news because we kick her off the internet.  Honestly, it's a good excuse to go to sleep early, but it just adds to the craziness right now.
Then tonight I was tucking my little girl into her "nest" on the floor of my closet, and she wrinkled her eyebrows and said, "Mom, this blanket dad gave me sure feels like a table cloth!"  Sure enough running low on blankets last night Daddy had grabbed a table cloth, and that was her blanket.  (I found a large bed sheet and folded it up for her instead.  It is softer!)
That's when I lost it.  It was just too funny. I had wanted to be the best host and wanted to give this kid the world in a month and really we have just invited him into a whole lot of our chaos!  We are sleep on the floor with table cloths for crying out loud, but I laughed because that's ok. 
God is teaching me that I don't have to wait for the perfect time to serve Him.  When he calls and we obey, He will make a way.  So, so, so  many people have stepped in to help us.  In big ways and small ways.  Faithful friends and neighbors who let me know that they are headed to the grocery store and can pick up milk right when I realize we've run out.  A text that they are going to the park and can take a few extra little people.  This morning I woke up to an email from a new friend asking if she could bring all the sides for supper tonight.  The cool part was I had the frozen hamballs; God completely took care of the whole meal for me so that I could spend the day taking the kids on a field trip.  It is a little nuts right now, but it is so good too.  Despite the inconveniences and my inadequacies God is showing me who He is.  He is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment