Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My 2013 Goals


2013…What do I want to do with this year?  I have been reminded recently that each day we have is a gift from God.  I keep looking into the eyes of my husband and children and am so thankful for each day with them.  I am challenged not to try to do great things, but to be faithful in the little things.   How will I resolve to be faithful in 2013?

I had such a good experience with written goals last year that I had to write them down again.

1.      Find a Routine.  I have felt off my game for the last couple of months.  Part of it is due to the fact that I have used a 3-ring binder in past for household management.  I think that my life has grown into two binders; one for the household and one for school.  Since I out grew my binder I foolishly abandoned it all together.  I have been without direction.

2.      Cook with my kids (instead of for my kids.)  It hit me the other day how much time a month we as parents spend on sharpening artistic and athletic skills while becoming too busy to teach life skills.  How many times do I grimace when I hear the sound of the kitchen chair scrape across the floor?  I say, “Not now,” when my little one smiles up at me with anticipation and asks, “Can I help?”  In 2013 I will no longer value speed and efficiency at the cost of bringing my kids alongside me. 

3.      Shut the cupboard doors.  If you are looking for some deep or hidden meaning in that resolution there isn’t one.  I am terrible at shutting doors!  It used to drive my parents NUTS, and recently my husband has brought it to my attention that he finds my carelessness annoying as well.  Old habits die hard, but I am sure going to try!

4.      Can sometime with my sister.  Last year was my first year with the garden.  I froze corn and zucchini.  This year I would like to can, and my sister wants to too!  I am not sure what we will can.  Green beans, applesauce or stew…maybe I will let my sister decide, because they all sound good to me!

5.      Be a blessing.  I want to go into situations asking “How can I bless?” Far, far too often I have expectations of what others can do for me.  One of the great paradoxes of God is that giving to others brings greater joy than getting.  That is what I want at the forefront of my mind this year. 

I was really tempted to add a couple more, but I had better concentrate on just doing a few things well. Stay focused on being faithful right?  Well, off to the printer I go to keep my written goals visible in the new year.   

This post is linked up at We are that Family

2 comments:

  1. All of these are great goals.
    Maybe you could add lights to your number 3?
    Good luck with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it quite intriguing that you are organized but yet the cupboards stay open. The last one I hear quite often :) but I don't take time to think about it. Thanks for the reminder. How great of a truth it is! I think it would completely change me perspective on "life" happening and sometime not in the way I want or anticipate. I'm glad you are blogging again so I can keep up with you! (Sad when the internet keeps me connected to you instead of the 30 steps between our houses).

    ReplyDelete