Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My "Everything" Scrubbing Cleanser

This is my favorite cleaning product because I use it everywhere.  I use it to replace the Soft Scrub that I was using on my sinks, counter tops, bathtubs.  It replaced my stove top cleaner.  I used it on the tile grout.   I even use this as toilet cleaner.  (After I scrub the toilet bowl with this I throw in an extra cup of white vinegar and let it sit.  I like the toilet to be really clean.)  This one cleaner cut down on the "cleaner clutter" and having a separate bottle for each surface in each room. There is nothing extraordinary in this recipe. 
  • Heaping ¾ cup baking soda
  • ¼ cup dish soap
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons water
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoon of vinegar 
I mix the first three ingredients together first and then add the vinegar last.  I have found that a little of this goes a long way.  At first I was using too much, and it took me forever to get it all wiped up!  My only "complaint" this this recipe would be that it settles.  You can store it in a jar and stir it before each use.  Right now I am using an old ketchup bottle.  (The kind with the lid on the bottom.)  All the baking soda packs down around the lid.  Before I use it I untwist the lid, push through the baking soda, put the lid back on and shake.  If anyone comes up with a better way please leave a comment below!  I would love to try it.

4/9/12 NOTE: I found another use!  Here is the post for using the scrubbing cleanser in the laundry room!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this natural scrubbing recipe! Over the course of the last 3 or 4 years, I have switched over to all natural make-it-yourself cleaners for my home. (It feels so much better than using all of those nasty chemicals!) For my basic-basic all-purpose cleaner, I just use a 1:1 ratio of water and white vinegar, along with a few drops of orange essential oil in a spray bottle. (I use this for countertops and linoleum floor mostly.) But sometimes, I need a little extra scrubbing power, like when I go a little too long without cleaning my stove, or pots that have really stuck on food. I look forward to trying this soon... and of course I already have everything I need to make it!

    Happy cleaning & God Bless!

    ~Becka @ Just a Bunch of Momsense

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Becka. I am just starting to experiment with essential oils. Orange is one I need to get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try this! Might work nice on my new stainless steel pans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This works well on my stainless steel pan. If there is food stuck I boil it off first!

      Delete