Thursday, September 20, 2012

Peanut Butter Zucchini Brownies


My mom is well known for her recipe substitutions.  I think one of my favorite ingredient switches was Cream Cheese Brownies.  She called me disappointed that her brownies didn’t taste like my brownies.  As I inquired further I discovered that she had substituted the chocolate cake mix for a spice cake mix and the chocolate chips for cinnamon chips. Of course they were not going to taste anything like the brownies that I had made!  There wasn’t any chocolate in them! (I love you Mom!)
Yesterday I was my mother.  I was so excited to try this recipe for Flourless Zucchini Brownies.   I switched out so many ingredients that it is no longer the same recipe.  It is still gluten free and dairy free.  I am very pleased with the results.  My son took a bite and said, “Mom, you gotta put these on the blog!” My husband said they were good, but he would have liked them better if I would have peeled the zucchini before shredding it.  Unfortunately all the zucchini that I froze this year was shredded with the peel on. 
 
I tried to get a picture, but the brownies were disappearing on the kids' plates too quickly.  These brownies are much lighter than Black Bean Brownies.  If you pinned Chocolate Zucchini Bread you must try this one too!  My aunt has said if Reese’s Peanut Butter cups were vegetables, she would be very healthy.  These brownies are as close as I can get! 

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 1/2 cups of shredded zucchini
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
  • ½ cup cocoa
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup of chocolate chips

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Combine all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix everything together.
  3. Pour into a greased 9x9 baking pan.
  4. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

 

7 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! I'm going to have to try them the next time I have an extra zucchini lying around :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tara,
    This is a perfect recipe for us to try with all the Zucchini we have from the garden right now. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting! I think these were the best brownies I've ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did u use to shred the zucchini??

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are absolutely delicious and moist. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete